My sweet baby Cara is already 2 months; how quickly this time has gone. Things around here are moving pretty fast these days. There are a lot of diapers, feedings, and waking hours ... there are also a lot of snuggles, smiles, and giggles! This past week Caroline began sleeping 7 hours at night. What a difference this has made for me; it's amazing what a few more hours of consecutive rest can do for one's concentration and patience! I even got both girls to take a nap at the same time on Monday ... so we're starting to figure things out. I however squandered my down time on laundry and preparing dinner.
Our little girl had her 2nd well-baby doctor appointment today. She is doing wonderfully and she's perfectly healthy. A little smaller than her sister was at 2 months ... she's only 12.7 pounds and 23.5 inches, at the 85th and 75th percentile respectively. Consequently, we're getting a little more wear out of those 0-3 month clothes. Developmentally she's doing all the expected things: giggling, grasping objects, and tracking movement. She is a delightfully easy baby, happy most of the time. She prefers to fuss when something is needed. Crying is reserved for serious problems like a blanket or hat accidentally covering her eyes. It was so sad to watch her cry while getting the Hib vaccination today! She was not as easily consoled as Katie had been, but she was definitely much happier when I picked her up for some post-shot snuggles. To be honest I needed the snuggles as much as she did.
Life with our littlest girl has been full of blessings. There's a special peace that comes from holding my baby and snuggling before bed. The lost sleep and fatigue are so worth it when matched with baby smiles and giggles. Caroline actually sleeps quite peacefully and has continued to sleep in our room since her 1st day; however, I know it's almost time for her to move across the hall. She's doing such a good job sleeping, averaging 6-7 hour stretches, it's the perfect time to transition her into her crib. I was in such a hurry to get that room set up for her just right, and now I find myself reluctant to let her use it. Sadly, I know how quickly this time passes ... so I'm trying to hold onto it a little tighter this time around.
This month has been full of firsts: first pumpkin patch visit, first parade (SIU Homecoming), first playgroup, and first Halloween. I had my first experience taking both girls grocery shopping and I also managed to get all 3 of us out the door in under 20 minutes to arrive on-time for an appointment. All-in-all we are settling nicely into our new life together. Things are definitely busier than before when it was just Katie, but life is more exciting and fun too! All my fears and concerns have been put to rest. Caroline has brought so much joy to my life and I love her more everyday!
It is such an incredible experience to have 2 little girls so close in age, yet at different places in life entirely. Katie is my bundle of energy, making me laugh, and learning so much that I can't help but be incredibly proud. Cara is that soft place I go to rest at the end of the day when the house is quiet and I need to relax. Her sweet coos and the faint scent of baby shampoo lull me to sleep at night. When I was pregnant my biggest prayer was that this baby, who I now know as Caroline, would be just as wonderful as her big sister ... and she is! My prayers have been answered and I couldn't be more thankful for my two little girls.
No comments:
Post a Comment