Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Squash











Today I actually cooked for Katelyn ... her 1st baby food besides rice cereal. While she was taking her morning nap I got the acorn squash out of the refrigerator and began by cutting it up into smaller pieces. After removing the seeds and some pulp I tossed all the pieces, skin still attached, into the steamer basket of a large pot. Under the guidance of my mom I put 1-1.5 inches of water at the bottom of the pot. After steaming the pieces of squash for what felt like forever I checked for softness with a fork. I separated the meat from the skin and using the fork I mashed the vegetable a bit. Then I scooped the mashed squash into my Kitchen Aid food processor and began to puree it. I added some water from the steamer pot to get the correct consistency and tasted the deliciousness that would be Katie's lunch. I was impressed! So proud of myself for actually cooking my daughter's first meal I was eagerly anticipated her awaking from her nap. Unfortunately, Katie was a little less than impressed by the squash ... although she didn't totally hate it I can't say she's looking forward to lunch tomorrow - which of course will be squash again. Poor baby, she's going to have to learn to like things not made from my milk. Oh well, I have hope it'll get better the more often she eats vegetables ... I am still proud of myself - I would, and have, eaten the squash I made. It is tasty!

No comments: