I remember when life crept along ever so slowly ... like my entire 5th grade year, or when I was waiting to marry Joe. It's just simply amazing how quickly things have been moving since Katie's arrival! Another month has passed, and she's well on her way to becoming the woman God made her to be. My daily prayer is just that I am up to the task of being the best Mommy, God made me to be. I know it seems a bit early to be talking of Katie becoming a woman, but that's the end goal right? She's certainly not going to stay a baby forever, and as quickly as babyhood is moving I am sure she won't be a little girl forever either. I can however slow things down just for a moment here ....
Katie took her first assisted steps this month. I held her hands and she began stepping - she is working hard to master this task. She can stand holding onto the back of the couch, or the small ottoman in our living room ... but she did try to let go and side-step the other day (I caught her). She has completely mastered rolling from back to belly, but she's still getting a bit stuck on her belly and can't quite get that arm out of the way to roll onto her back again. She pushes up on her arms really high now, and can crane her head back and look up at me at the same time. She tries to get her knees under her, but cannot quite figure out how to hold up her 19 pound body on her arms while resting on her knees - one or the other always gives way just as it seems about to happen. She's nearly sitting by herself too, but this also needs a bit more work. The problem is that once she leans to one side or the other there is no chance for recovery. She pulls forward and sits up in her stroller, and this practice is helping with real sitting - it shouldn't be too much longer.
Although she has always been a talker, lately Katie has become even louder in her talking. She laughs more often, smiles all the time, and talks over everything else around her ... when she wants to. It's hilarious, but we're working on volume control. Big surprise - she IS my daughter. Anyway, we have learned a lot, and Kate and I can communicate pretty effectively with each other now. I can distinguish clearly between tired cries and cries of pain. She is learning to identify words - she recognizes our word for food, Mama & Dada, and "uppy" our word for getting picked up ... she grabs my fingers and lifts her head.
We have established a nap schedule that is somewhat consistent, and my darling daughter sleeps for about 12 hours each night. Did I mention I totally LOVE her!!! She sits in her highchair at breakfast time (just to watch Joe eat), and recognizes Joe as Daddy - getting excited when he comes home at the end of the day. Everyday I fall more in love with her, and everyday life gets just a little bit easier. There is so much to see and explore - it's like living life all over again. She is so full of hope and promise - each day is new - and I am so thankful for this gift God has given me.
No comments:
Post a Comment