Friday, April 30, 2010

8 Months

We have had an amazing month full of so many first time experiences.

Unfortunately we began the month with our very first sick baby visit to the doctor - Katelyn had been coughing and congested and I wanted to make sure she didn't have something more serious before we left town. Our doctor confirmed that she indeed just had the common cold and should be feeling better in a few days. She was feeling better quickly, and her symptoms cleared up within a week. A few weeks later Katelyn got sick again with her first fever. This time I decided not to rush her to our pediatrician; instead, I gave her lots of love and a couple doses of Tylenol. Again she was feeling better shortly. The joys of social interaction - GERMS! Although being sick is a little scary, being a little sick is better than not having friends. Katie is becoming so social!

We spent Katie's First Easter visiting Grandma & Grandpa in the Chicago suburbs. Katie and I got to look for the 6 giant plastic eggs my Mom hid for us, and Kate got an adorable assortment of gifts in her basket from Grandma. While we were in town Katie got to meet her Uncle John and visit her Aunt Cathy again, she also met her Uncle George, Aunt Kathy, and cousin Nick. It was a very busy extended weekend.

The following Tuesday we flew South to Florida so that Katelyn could meet Joe's parents. Kate earned her wings as this was her very first flight. Florida turned out to be the vacation of Katie's dreams - our little fishy loved swimming everyday. The weather was beautiful and Katelyn quickly learned that although sunscreen isn't fun to apply it usually means something exciting is about to happen. We went to multiple swimming pools and visited the Gulf twice. Katie liked the sounds of the waves, but wasn't too sure about actually standing in the water - she definitely did not like feeling as if the earth was disappearing from under her, but she did enjoy laying on a towel in the sand. We also visited the Sunken Gardens and Tampa Aquarium - Katelyn enjoyed the new experiences, she is becoming quite the explorer.

We returned home a week later and Katie got to meet her Uncle Mike and Aunt Tina. A week after that Katelyn helped me celebrate my 33rd birthday. The following day we went to gymnastics for the 3rd time. Katie worked hard at pushing up on the wedged mat and sliding downward. She loved playing on the trampoline again and had some fun with her friend Corey - later that week we had a playdate with Corey at her house.

On April 29th Katelyn went for her 7/8 month and Easter pictures. She did such a wonderful job smiling for the camera and playing with her Easter basket and eggs. I ended up purchasing the CD of 30 amazing shots of Katie! She just played and smiled, rolled around and sat without falling over too quickly. I cannot believe the number of skills she has already developed!

I am amazed daily by just how quickly Kate catches onto things and how incredibly intelligent she is. She has begun playing with Fisher Price Little People toys intended for children over a year, and can actually manipulate them properly - pushing buttons and opening doors. In her final waking moments as a 7 month old Katelyn began using sign language to communicate! I had been showing her the sign for milk and saying "milk" before feeding her for the last few months. Just as I was getting her ready for bed I noticed that she had her thumb up and was opening and closing her hand while fussing a little. Suddenly it occurred to me - Katelyn was actually ASKING for me to feed her ... she can TELL me what she wants!!! We have begun a whole new relationship of two way communication - I couldn't be more proud and more excited! After she ate, we read her favorite Spot book together and at the end of the book she waved bye-bye to Spot when he went to sleep. What a wonderful ending to such an amazing month of firsts!

I absolutely LOVE being Katelyn's Mommy - she is such a blessing to my life. She is so easy to love and she makes parenting a total joy! I am thankful to God everyday for this incredible child he has given me.

No comments: