Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Late?

This week has been an adventure of daily anticipation ... The Great Kate Wait persists. I am finally tired of being pregnant; however, God has refreshed me with a few unexpected restful nights of much needed sleep! I look forward to holding Katie in my arms, getting back to running, and being able get out of the bathtub by myself. It is unbelievable how humbling being pregnant can be. Strangely, I have been both terrified by the thought of labor and eagerly anticipating the challenge I have been training for during these last 10 months.

My 39 week appointment was cancelled by my doctor - due to some other activity outside the office (I'm assuming a delivery at the hospital). I was so sure Katie would be exactly on time that I planned nothing for Joe's birthday, thinking that the arrival of his daughter was gift enough. We spent last Thursday night eating pizza and watching mind-numbing TV all the while I felt guilty for not even buying my poor husband a card. On Friday I decided that maybe after 2 weeks without an appointment I should go see my doctor.

On Monday I had Joe meet me at the doctor's office for my 40 week appointment - to be honest it was 40 weeks and 4 days. I figured there would be some progress toward labor by now ... absolutely nothing! I was in exactly the same position I had been in at 37 weeks ... I must say this news did not make me too happy. What followed was even worse - my doctor began discussing with us induction options. I remember hearing about babies that were "10 days late" when I was a child - in fact, I was one of those babies. So, what is the big deal about 4 or 5 days? Apparently there is a strongly held belief that early 1st trimester ultrasounds are the answer to this question ... since we have them now, which we didn't 30 years ago, our due dates are considered more accurate and obviously by definition babies born this decade must know how to use a calendar.

All sarcasm aside, I listened to my doctor go through the list of induction options. None of which sound particularly appealing. He did however have me pretty well convinced that Friday would be a nice time to start Pitocin - I have to say that the thought of being able to hold my daughter in my arms before the weekend ends sounds pretty enticing. He also said that I needed to do some testing this week. Once I found out that the tests were non-invasive I agreed without knowing what I was actually agreeing to.

Tuesday I went to work, taught 3 PE classes, and left for my Biophysical Profile Test - basically an ultrasound. I actually thought this might be fun - I had high hopes for getting to see Katie's face and maybe even get an idea of how big she was. I did get to find out she has hair, but other than that the test was disappointing. On an 8 point scale ... Katie scored 4 points. My precious baby decided to sleep through the test, and there was no disturbing her (ironically as I write this she is punching and kicking the heck out of me). I knew, and said it multiple times, that I had not had nearly enough to eat that morning and some ice water or cookies should wake her. I did not realize just how important these statements were at the time. The ultrasound technician said the my fluid level was good and we got 2 points for that, but she really did not like to give out 4's. I said "no big deal" I'll go over to the hospital and have the non-stress test done, and on my way over I'll get Katie and myself something to eat. Well, um with a score of 4 I was required to go for the non-stress test immediately - but still it was suggested that I pick up something in the hospital cafeteria on my way up to the Labor and Delivery floor.

I HATE hospitals ... so I arrived at the admission desk and informed them I was there for an NST and should be done within the hour. The super-nice lady helped me fill out all my paperwork, but informed me that I was a G status not an O for observation as I had thought I would be. She said this meant I could be there for up to 23 hours - this should have alarmed me; however, I let her know everything was OK, I was not in labor, and I would be an O status by the end of the hour - she said that she would change my status when the test was done and the Labor and Delivery floor called down to her. She was exceptionally nice, and I have no reason to believe she knew anything was brewing.

I was met in the hallway by a lady who insisted I ride in a wheelchair - this aggravated me, but I tried to be nice. Then I was assigned to birthing room 4 - I quickly informed the nurse I was leaving in an hour and I would be happy to do the test in a non-private observation bed. She quickly moved me, and thanked me for leaving the room open for someone who might need it. I let her know I needed some cookies and juice to wake my sleeping baby for the test - she attached the monitoring devices, got my necessary food items, and asked a multitude of health history questions. We got a good baseline strip of Katie sleeping ... which appeared to alarm the nurse; however, after giving Katie a short pep talk and crunching down some ice she started acting like her usual post-meal self. We passed the NST!

By now my blood pressure had become cause for concern to the medical staff. Nobody who works in a hospital seems to understand how some of us can simply HATE hospitals - these stupid tests cannot possibly cause someone's blood pressure to escalate. I was stressed - and further evidence of this was found as hives on my neck and chest. Although the medical staff completely missed this diagnosis they were quick to notice my swollen ankles and legs - obviously pre-eclampsia right? It's got to be - well, at least as far as they were concerned. One call to the doctor and now blood work was being requested. So the main reason I HATE hospitals is that they are full of needles and other sharp objects that are used to plunge into the skin! To make matters worse the nurse informed me that Katie's score of 4 on the Biophysical Profile Test back at my doctor's office earned us a guaranteed hospital stay of 23 hours ... now I was beginning to feel sick - so I agreed to let them take blood. I spoke with the nurse about signing out AMA - against medical advice, and she informed me that if I did that my insurance company would refuse to pay any charges I just incurred by being there.

I frantically called Joe and gave him as much information about the situation as I could. He quickly got on the phone with the insurance company to confirm these lies perpetrated by the medical staff. When I called him back after my blood was drawn he said "that nurse doesn't know what she is talking about, and don't let them admit you - that can change everything". He then said the most important thing, "I am leaving the office now to come be with you". Within 10 minutes he was by my side, rubbing my head, reassuring me, and providing me with entertainment in the form of a solitaire game on his ipod. Although nobody wanted to give us the results of my blood work - Joe and I finally managed to get the nurse to admit there was nothing abnormal, no pre-eclampsia just as I had thought all along. We were then moved to a more private observation room where Joe suggested I call the insurance company to confirm all charges would be covered. After completing the 2nd insurance call of the day, and speaking to the 2nd manager at the call center, we were convinced ... Joe helped me remove the monitors, and we headed for the elevator. While in the elevator Joe used the scissors on my pocket knife to cut off the hospital wristband.

My blood pressure has remained somewhat elevated since we left the hospital - it takes a while for me to calm down, but it has been decreasing with each passing hour. The hospital did call my cell to confirm that I was alright - Joe took the call and reassured them I was just fine. My doctor has not made any attempt to contact me, and until we reach 42 weeks (when Katie will be officially overdue) or I go into labor I have no interest in contacting him. For now I'm on Joe prescribed bed rest - I'm done working, but the Joe bed rest comes with some good meals and lots of great snuggling. Besides, maybe I'll need some rest for when I finally do go into labor - naturally!

1 comment:

Trisha said...

Well at least Joe's mandated bedrest has got you back into the blogosphere :)